30 May 2010

Room Enough For Two

Humphrey is a middle of nowhere ghost town in the northeast corner of Idaho. My grandfather was raised there along with his ten brothers and sisters. The 800-acre family ranch has been handed down through him and his siblings over the years down to my generation.And Memorial Day weekend is the annual get-together to talk business (the ranch is leased out for cattle grazing), fix fences (not metaphorical), and enjoy the plain sweet company of family you don't otherwise see or know.This year I took my brother Randy and Adelaide. We met my parents and Rick and Jen and their four kids. We stopped in Lima, Montana to visit and clean some headstones. Then it was to Humphrey for hiking, exploring, playing and ranch meetings.I have decided I still love the ranch where we spent every summer vacation of my childhood. I have decided that I want that experience for my children as they grow. I think we will head back to Humphrey this July 4th. And who knows, it might become a July 4th tradition (there's only about a month or so of warmer weather there anyway). So if you ever want to get away from it all, come with us up to Humphrey.

3 comments:

Wendy McMillan said...

Good times, good times. I'm sad I never took Jacob to Humphrey so he could see a real outhouse and the park at Lima. I remember that seesaw being sooo scary and tall!

Chris Grover said...

love the outhouse shot! and mr. reggie. well, what can i say -- he is just absolutely gorgeous and mellow and sweet and that hair!! it's worthy of envy! i'm sooooo glad i got to see you, megan, and meet your cute little man! it was such a treat! glad he's here and healthy and happy! you look FANTASTIC too! there's no way you just had a baby!

Anonymous said...

This picture warms my heart. It seems as if only yesterday I was that little girl at Humphrey. Now I have grandchildren visiting. Life is a beautiful circle. Hugs, Ma Idaho