30 November 2011

Peanuts


Of all things, I was worried that my kids would end up with a horrendous food allergy like to peanuts or shellfish or something like that. You hear stories about kids who can't even go to school because their allergy is so bad.  Well... just his luck, Reggie found out he was allergic to peanuts today. He has eaten peanut butter before and he seemed to do fine with it in his belly, but wherever it touched him on his skin he broke out in hives.

I craved peanut butter like no other when I was pregnant with him; I think I ate it almost every day for lunch. Of course I can't help but think that had something to do with it. Oh, I hope not. His doctor said that there is a correlation of other nut allergies with that of peanuts, so he has to stay away from them all. We even have to carry an epi-pen now, just in case.

 It's going to be rough because we love peanut butter around here. Poor little nugget. It looks like we're going to have to switch to Biscoff Spread. That stuff is tasty.

5 comments:

Wendy McMillan said...

Sadness. I feared peanut allergies too because it is so yummy it would be difficult to give up. I don't think you could have caused it though. PB is one of the foods they want you to eat when you're pregnant and neither of you has peanut allergies. So sorry Reggie!

Mim said...

Holy Crap!!! the poor little guy. Are those allergy test marks on his back?

Megan said...

Yep, they tested him for twelve things and luckily the peanut was the only one that came back positive.

Wendy McMillan said...

P.S. what's an epi pen?

Megan said...

It's a shot of epinephrine you give in case they go into anaphylactic shock.