14 September 2009

Our School


Davey and I decided that we would do our own preschool at home for Adelaide. This stems from him not really wanting her to go to preschool, why I really don't know. If that was the case, then I decided to do it myself. Parents need to take charge of their children's education right?

I spent the summer printing and gathering materials and ideas for our little school. Most of them stemmed from my sis-in-law's curriculum she taught her kids, others I found online.

I set up a schedule, Mondays would be letters, Wednesdays would be numbers. So, today we began with the Letter Aa.

It was all about apples. We read a story called Apples, Apples, then we did a couple of crafts. One was where you cut an apple in half so you can see the star in the core, dip it in paint and stamp it on the paper until your heart's content. I drew a tree on a piece of paper and she got to paint her own little apples on the tree. Then we practiced writing the letters which she loved! We sang a little song about apples falling from the tree, then we made homemade applesauce (which turned out so yummy and was very easy too).

We're going to hang all of her artwork and letters on the wall for the week so she can see and remember what she did. She really had a good time which made me happy. I was worried she wouldn't like mommy being her teacher but it worked out great. I had a good time too!

9 comments:

Mim said...

That is so cool Meg!! You're such a good mom. I'm very proud of you. Addie is so lucky!!

Ashley said...

WHat a great idea! THis is actually exactly how Ryley's pre-school does it. Letter on Tuesdays, numbers on Thursdays. Way to go!

{natalie} said...

what time is saunders school? i would love to send kade and add. the apple prints are so cool. i love that idea. way to take charge and teach addie. ps let's get together.

Jackie said...

Homemade applesauce!! Way to go! :) I miss making that at home. Now we just do the store bought stuff. :(

{Erica} said...

Super cool! I'm trying to do something like this with Mailee on the days she doesn't have something in the morning and Ella's at school.

You should check out the preschool workbooks that costco has...they rock!

BRIAN AND BROOKE said...

Thats AWESOME Megan !! I love it !! What fun ... I am so glad Add enjoys it. What do you do to make the homemade applesauce? Guessing smashing the apples? I will have to try it out with Lana.

bridgette said...

We are doing Robyn's preschool too :) I love her lesson plans and it makes it so much easier to follow than trying to make something up the night before. I teach Nora and Gwen and it is so much fun. We did C today....YUM! I am surprised at how much they pick up. Wish we could do this together. We need to set up some ichat dates with the girls!

Unknown said...

That's so awesome Megan. I wish I had the patience to teach my girls. I may have to find it next year because I'm not sure I want to pay for preschool for two!

Chris Grover said...

VERY cool! i'm so impressed! that is a great way to have structured learning time! i bet addie loves it!