23 July 2008

GIANTS

I accidentally chose the most fabulous spot for a garden in my yard. I had great success last year, so I went for it again this year. Instead of planting only tomatoes and yellow squash I went crazy! I planted mini-sweet red peppers, corn, and zucchini too. I have already had the joy of eating one yellow squash and two zucchini this year from my glorious plants.

However, I wasn't prepared for the sheer enormity of these plants. My veggies got big last year, but nothing like this...............(these pictures do not do them justice)


The corn isn't even done growing and it's taller than me.
Those are my little pepper plants to the right of the corn.


These are my tomatoes, started from seed by my dear grandpa.
They have toppled their cages over and are now being held up by wire
because they are so huge!
They come up to my chest by the way.


The most amazing of all, are my zucchini and squash. You can see them squished between the tomatoes and fence. I only planted one zucchini and one squash plant! That huge mass is from two tiny little plants! They too come up to my chest.
Next year I'll have to give everything more space.
The heat reflects off of the southwest side of our house
and the plants are soaking it up, literally.

I am now taking requests for veggies from my garden.
Tomatoes are on, but not ripe yet.
The squash and zucchini look as if they will be ready in about
a week or so.

(In a voice like Jim Carrey's) YUMMY!


8 comments:

*ethan* said...

so is there cobs to eat??

Megan said...

Not yet, but soon, very soon.

{natalie} said...

awesome! i fried my tomatoes and peppers already, no go on the veggies for me. hahah.

Cari said...

Good for you for planting a garden! I always have the best intentions but never get to it and I kick myself when I hear of other's bounty!

Enjoy!

BRIAN AND BROOKE said...

oh wow those are HUGE!! You can barely get by them on the sidewalk ha ha ......good job with gardening..I will have to get tips from you when I want to start my own...........and by then you will be an expert :)

Rachel and Kelly said...

I'm so jealous. I have been wanting to plan a garden but Kelly won't let me.

Sarah said...

Oh I'm so sad and jealous! We usually have a HUGE garden, but it didn't happen this year. Life has been too crazy this summer. I miss the "fruits" but I don't miss the work. I'm so excited for you!

Jaime said...

Wow! What are you feeding those things?? I can't wait until we have a garden. Nothin' like fresh from the garden veggies.