18 July 2008

Led Zeppelin Anonymous

I have a problem. Its initials are Led and Zeppelin. I got hooked on them in Junior High and they have been a solid rock for me in my life since then. Zep has been the inspirational music behind many road trips, foolhardy stunts, relationships and yes, the first time I read the Book of Mormon cover to cover I was accompanied by the boxed set and my trusty walkman. And I still got an answer, so the Big Men upstairs must have been alright with that.
As life has gone on and as Addie has become the DJ in our car, I hear less and less of the ONLY decent foursome to come from Great Britain.
So the other day when I ran into a tight spot, I was a little unsure of what I should do. I was alone. I just pulled up to the Home Depot on a sunshiny ninety-five plus degree afternoon. As I parked the car and turned it off, I heard that familiar picking coming through the truck's speakers. The truck was off and all I had to do was pull out the key to silence the tune. But I couldn't. Stairway was on the radio.
If I learned anything from Led Zeppelin Anonymous and years off rehab, it was this. You can always count on your friends. So I texted them. Ten or so. And I asked them what I should do.

Pat: Get an ipod.
We all know that hearing a song on the radio is WAY different from hearing it on your ipod or cd. Its like the world is accepting your song when its on the radio. It means more.
Chris: Pray that its playing in the store.
Although I would have missed those thirty seconds, Chris is trying to help me through my rehab. Praying its on in the store tells me to look for Led Zeppelin but don't rely on it. And although he is trying to be my friend, my addiction overpowered me when I found these statements.

Adam: I would think it is obvious.
Steve: You know what to do.
Brian: Stay in the car.
Wendy: You sit and listen.
Jef: Enjoy it.
Brandon: Put the chair back and take a nap.
Josh: Fake like you're doing work in the car.
Randy: Be buff. More than ever.
Papanig: Roll a doobie.

So I sat. Windows up, truck off.

. . . to be a rock, and not to roll.



8 comments:

{natalie} said...

how come i didn't get a text? i probably would have been confused.

*ethan* said...

i m sorry i didn't text back!!! i was mowing and now i feel left out of the blog


i would have said get nude and enjoy the jams!

*ethan* said...

ps good to have you back blogging

Anonymous said...

The only reason I didn't text back is because I knew a week would have gone by before I would have figured out HOW to reply to your message, let alone type out my advice, which would have been "Sit". I know Stairway is a long song, but it's not that long. And with my luck, I would have misspelled my advice.

BRIAN AND BROOKE said...

is it bad I had to ask Brian who Led Zeppelin was ? ha ha ha :)

Anonymous said...

I know your instinct was to listen so I have to assume that was a test for your friends. I feel like a guinea pig!

Brandon and Meghan said...

Next question is: If you had to go to the bathroom REALLY bad and Led Zepplin came on? What then? I am thinking it just might have to be laundry time when you get home. :)

Glad I could be a part of it.

Anonymous said...

Led Zeppelin rock!
(but I have to admit, that I haven't played the bunch of Led Zep CDs for quite some time now, which is definitely less than in the good old times 14 years ago)