12 June 2007

The Zoo, The Zoo!

Adelaide was FINALLY able to go to the zoo today.
My 8 year old brother Jake stayed with us last night
so we went up and met my mom for this glorious day.

We rode the choo choo first which got the day off to a great start. Addie loves the train.




I have no idea who this kid is by Adelaide, but I love this picture of her.


My head is always leaning forward. I hate it. I need to fix it.


A short traumatic experience: Adelaide was a little nervous looking at the animals
through the glass. I don't think she realized that they couldn't touch her.
We were looking at the adorable baby Orangutan swinging on its ropes,
when she fell off and tumbled toward the glass where Addie was standing.
I don't think I have ever seen my daughter so petrified.
She turned to me shaking and screaming. She couldn't even walk, she was so scared.
I had her touch the glass so she could see that the baby couldn't touch her.
It didn't help one bit.
She refused to get close to the glass or any animal in a cage after that experience.
Which brings me to the picture above.
My mom and I tried to have her sit on the rhino statue with Jake,
but she wouldn't even touch it.
It mattered not that it was fake. The distance you see her, is the distance she stayed.
It was pretty funny.


She found the giraffes to be the best. Nothing else at the zoo could have taken her
attention away from them.


So close.......



I saved this picture for last. Mostly because it was hideous.
I couldn't get a better picture due to the glass.
This rare alligator looked dead though it was quite alive.
It just laid there in the water looking this way. Didn't move an inch.
I understand that this is what these animals do. On the other hand, if I was a white alligator,
I would realize I would have to do things different.
To me, it looked like it was dead and it had been in the water so long it's skin
faded to white.
Ghostly. Dead. But it wasn't.
It could've moved.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

that story about Addie and the animals behind the glass was so sad and so funny all at once, thanks for sharing! It looked like it was so fun! We need to rake Ryley there some time! How long did Addie last?

Megan said...

We got there at 11 and left at about 3. She was exhausted but she loved it. She slept the whole way home.

{natalie} said...

we love the zoo. i just wish we didn't have to drive so far. i mean 45 minutes is just sooo long.

ps. we have the same pic of kade and some random kid at the globe.

Chris Grover said...

Ahhh, the zoo -- lions and tigers and bears...and albino alligators! Looks like it was a great day. I've never been there after all these years in Utah! I think it might be about time I checked it out!

Cari said...

Cute pictures! (except the alligator...creepy!) I feel for little Adelaide. I get freaked out over the lion that sleeps against the glass. I agree with her that the Giraffes are the best.